Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ntini announced retirement from International Cricket


Makhaya Ntini, the South Africa fast bowler, has announced his retirement from international cricket but will continue representing domestic sides. Ntini will be given a farewell during the Twenty20 international between South Africa and India at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban on January 9, when he will make his final appearance for South Africa.An emotional Ntini, fighting back tears, announced his decision at a press conference in Johannesburg on Tuesday. He reflected on his journey from being the first black African cricketer to play for South Africa in 1998 to becoming one of the nation's premier bowlers.
"It has been a wonderful journey for me to represent my country," Ntini said at his retirement press conference in Johannesburg. "I have so many great memories, which I will carry with me for the rest of my life. My career is by no means over; it just means that internationally my time has come to hang up my boots. Domestic cricket is thriving at the moment, and I want to be a part of the set up, as a player, for as long as possible."
Ntini said he made his decision "two months ago" but only announced it on Tuesday because he has been in meetings with Cricket South Africa over his future. "I was in Port Elizabeth and thought it's time to call it a day. I can't keep waiting to end something when I don't know when it's going to end. I didn't want to be pushed out of the game."
@Cricket Buzz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Banner ad

Get cash from your website. Sign up as affiliate.